Re: Kylix 3

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 03:28:55PM -0000, Lee Matt wrote:
> <snip>
>
> <http://crosskylix.untergrund.net/execshield.shtml>
>
> "As reported in the Borland Kylix Newsgroups, applications compiled with
> Kylix will crash on Linux distributions running the 2.6.8 Kernel
> including the exec-shield patch. Currently this is happening with Red
> Had Fedora Core 2, but soon other distributions probably will also be
> affected."

> Not sure if this is the problem you're experiencing, but it might help?
Indeed.  Try the following:

	# echo 1 >/proc/sys/vm/legacy_va_layout

That doesn't have anything to do with exec-shield (I don't think), but
could be confused as such (Don't think Debian kernel have exec-shield,
yet).  That is a workaround, and not a proper solution.  If that
works, then kylix is making assumptions about the memory layout
provided by the kernel which are violated in 2.6.8+ (not the kernels
fault; kylix shouldn't assume such things).

Justin