Re: adding new Hard Disk to sarge

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:54:03AM -0600, Mr Mike wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 02:17 pm, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 02:09:07PM -0600, Mr Mike wrote:
> > > On Thursday 17 February 2005 01:23 pm, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > debian:/mnt# file -s /dev/hdc1
> > > /dev/hdc1: ERROR: cannot open `/dev/hdc1' (No such file or directory)
> >
> > That's not the right partition then.  What does cfdisk /dev/hdc have
> > to say about it?
>
> well guess what?  i found the ide-disk module wasn't loaded!
That would do it:)

> <RANT>
> I 'still' don't believe for a heartbeat it has to be mounted via
> same route as removable disk like floppy.  During installation, the
> partitioning section asks for Mount Points and assigns them to
> 'partitions' NOT directories...  assume 1 large scsi disk /dev/sda
> the process would include something like this..  Create a partition,
> choose a filesystem for the partition, then assign it a mount
> point..  the user might decide to use the following scheme
No, it definitely has to be mounted over an existing directory.

mount(2):
DESCRIPTION
	mount attaches the filesystem specified by source  (which  is
	often  a device name, but can also be a directory name or a
	dummy) to the directory specified by target.

Andries Brouwer has written a good description of what mount() does;
(Oops, maybe its squirreled away in a bug report?  I forget.)  mount()
asks the kernel to associate with a given pathname a certain "device".
As long as that "device" (or whatever it is) is mounted, referrering
to that pathname implicitly references the device.  The previous
meaning of the pathname is changed (and the contents are invisible)
until that "device" is unmounted.

> partition # size  type  mount point
>       1                250mb      ext3     /boot
>       2                512mb      swap          none
>       3                60gb         ext3           /
>       4                rest           ext3           /home
>                         of disk
/, /home, and /boot are all required directories, says the FHS.
http://www.debian.org/devel/
So, the installer will have created them before your machine tries to
boot.

If you were to tell the installer to mount device foo onto /bar, it
would either 1) fail, until you create /bar, or 2) implicitly mkdir
/bar.

> An initial fstab is created with entries for
> /dev/sda1  /boot
> /dev/sda2  none (swap)
> /dev/sda3  /
> /dev/sda4  /home
> all of which are referencing partitions not physical directories on
> the disk.
They must be physical directories on some disk (well, it could be a
ramdisk, I guess).  The kernel will mount / during boot (so that it
can call /sbin/init).  / must be associated with a device which
contains physical mountpoint (in ext2,3, fat, ntfs, bfs, ufs, isofs,
etc) on which mount your other devices.

> If this isn't right then I'm totally confused by the linux mount point
> concept..
> </RANT>
I think it does what you think, except that the directory must exist.

> > > I'm also haveing issues with my SB Live audio card but that'll have
> > > to be ya thread..
> >
> > modprobe emu10k1; play /usr/share/games/madbomber/sounds/bigexplosion.wav
> >

> will give this a try... actually think its' alsa cause I can get it to work
> but always a hassle..
That should still work with alsa.  As best as I can tell, ALSA and OSS
modules are both called emu10k1.

You might be interested in the kernel's abilities to automatically
load modules.  I don't know much more; and it may not be enabled in
your kernel.