Re: adding new Hard Disk to sarge

On Thursday 17 February 2005 02:17 pm, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 02:09:07PM -0600, Mr Mike wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 February 2005 01:23 pm, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > debian:/mnt# file -s /dev/hdc1
> > /dev/hdc1: ERROR: cannot open `/dev/hdc1' (No such file or directory)
>
> That's not the right partition then.  What does cfdisk /dev/hdc have
> to say about it?

well guess what?  i found the ide-disk module wasn't loaded!
  insmod ide-disk
and i was able to mount drive as if it were a removable media type device
listed in the fstab file.

<RANT>
I 'still' don't believe for a heartbeat it has to be mounted via same route as
removable disk like floppy.  During installation, the partitioning section
asks for Mount Points and assigns them to 'partitions' NOT directories...
assume 1 large scsi disk /dev/sda the process would include something like
this..  Create a partition, choose a filesystem for the partition, then
assign it a mount point..  the user might decide to use the following scheme

partition # size  type  mount point
      1                250mb      ext3     /boot
      2                512mb      swap          none
      3                60gb         ext3           /
      4                rest           ext3           /home
                        of disk

An initial fstab is created with entries for
/dev/sda1  /boot
/dev/sda2  none (swap)
/dev/sda3  /
/dev/sda4  /home
all of which are referencing partitions not physical directories on the disk.

If this is true, then adding a new hard disk (say a 2gb ide for kicks) to use
with your ftp server, you would do all the install, partition, format stuff
and wind up with a fstab entry for -

/dev/hda1  /ftp

again referencing the 1st partition on /dev/hda by the 'mount point' called
'/ftp'
(of course there are steps you would need to take to transfer any files in the
existing /ftp directory on /dev/sda3 ... )

If this isn't right then I'm totally confused by the linux mount point
concept..
</RANT>

> > Mdk, RH, SUSE, Connectiva, and others have always detected my new hw
> > on boot and I've grown used to the convience and now sarge seems
> > like a big step backwards in that regard even though it is superior
> > in other aspects...
>
> When the Linux kernel boots, it will detect any hardware which it
> supports.  That's not dependent on the distribution, even if RH has a
> colored box that says "detecting hardware" and a program called
> "sndconfig".  (Since the kernel supports your soundcard, I have no
> clue what that program could be doing).
>
> > I'm also haveing issues with my SB Live audio card but that'll have
> > to be ya thread..
>
> modprobe emu10k1; play /usr/share/games/madbomber/sounds/bigexplosion.wav

will give this a try... actually think its' alsa cause I can get it to work
but always a hassle..

> Curious: why do you find Sarge superior?

Superior?  Well, maybe that was a bad choice of words :-(   However, in my
opinion debian is more in tune with OSS idealology because they don't have a
bottom line to get in the way like the other 'for profit' distros i've used.

Lindows, Everyones Linux, Mandrake and others, have 'subscription' type
accounts you have to pay for in order to access additional applications.  My
personal encounter with this drove me to learn how to install from source
code because something I was interested in was only available to Mandarkeclub
members.  Hopefully i'll have to do a lot less of this with debian.  (even
thou I've grown sorta fond of the process..)

--
Cheers: Mike

< snip >