Re: why is sarge "minimal" intall so huge compared to woody?

Justin Pryzby wrote:
But I, too, seem to recall that woody was about 100MB (or was that
before dselect?).

Could you send me a list of packages off list?  dpkg --get-selections
or some such; I'm curious about what's installed and what might be
different.

Hi Justin and people interested in this report.
I just "minimally installed" a fresh woody and a fresh sarge on vmware machines and using the same options as much as possible.

The results are:
woody: 152 MB, 105 packages installed (100 packages selected)
sarge: 372 MB, 231 packages installed (226 packages selected)

I got these results by using "df", "dpkg -l | wc -l" and "dpkg --get-selections | wc -l", respectively

As one can see, sarge minimal install is almost 2.5x bigger than woody

Repeting what I said on my 1rst post, I wonder why such a big minimal install ...
As a curiosity, /usr of sarge takes 223 MB and in woody takes 50 MB!

Hmmm... what if one gets woody installed, then apt-get dist-upgrade to sarge? What would happen then? I think I'll try that... after getting some sleep maybe :-)

Justin, I'll later mail you off-list with the listings you requested, ok?

Bye for now
Joao