Re: problems with dhclient after upgrade to sarge

Hi David!

* David Ballantyne <ballanty@cita.utoronto.ca> [2004-04-24 09:00:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried them out, but still have no joy.
>
> If I try setting a gateway by hand:

for some reason i suspect your kernel being the reason for all that.
have you also updated that one when u switched to sarge? i read
something about some modules being kicked out that actually are in the
vanilla kernel. check if you network card is there ...?

> ansum:~# route add default gw 66.203.194.255
!!!!!!!!!! >> a network can never be a router (maybe if you had 254
routers. but i could not confirm that, maybe someone else might be able
to do that?) - always pick a machine...
> SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
> ansum:~#

here's how
route del default
route add default gw 66.203.194.1

> After reading the man page for dhclient, I checked out my
> /var/lib/dhcp3/dhclient.leases file. It was updated when I restarted
> dhclient and contains
>
> lease {
>   interface "eth0";
>   fixed-address 66.203.194.60;
>   filename "vxworks";
>   option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>   option routers 66.203.194.1;
>   option dhcp-lease-time 10800;
>   option dhcp-message-type 5;
>   option domain-name-servers 66.203.195.237;
>   option dhcp-server-identifier 66.203.195.237;
>   option broadcast-address 66.203.194.255;
>   option domain-name "cp.telus.net";
>   renew 6 2004/4/24 00:03:15;
>   rebind 6 2004/4/24 01:13:58;
>   expire 6 2004/4/24 01:36:28;
> }

try to put these in a manual network configuration ...
would look like this:
in /etc/network/interfaces

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address  66.203.194.60
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	broadcast 66.203.194.255
	gateway 66.203.194.1

then do /etc/init.d/networking restart
ifconfig; route -n

> So, again it looks like dhclient is getting everything it needs to, but
> the rest of the computer isn't being told that. Any ideas, or should I
> submit a bug report?

i do not think it is a bug in that case. i am using multiple
dhcp-servers and many clients (evidently) and everything works like
always.
if u still suspect dhclient being the problem, u might want to try pump
instead.

regs,

klaus