Re: installing kernel sources

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you actually want the kernel headers, and not necessary the kernel source, if you are trying to compile something against the stock debian kernel. If you do an apt-get install kernel-headers-`uname -r` (those are backticks, not singlequotes), it will install the kernel headers to /usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.25-1-686 or something like this. Try pointing vmware to this directory and you should be ok.

Jason Martens

Mike Partyka wrote:

Hello all,
I am pretty new to Debian, used SuSE and RedHat for the last year or so. I still use xp on my laptop becuase the ACPI works without a lot of hassle. I run several Linux installs under VMware workstation 4.5.1 and there is a tools package that improves the graphics and mouse movement. Anyway it requires the kernel sources so it can compile a kernel modue for this purpose. On my testing install i did a "apt-get install kernel-sources-2.4.25" which matches the output of "uname -r" and on other distributions i would then have a /usr/src/linux-2.4.25 directory which would have all the kernel sources necessary to compile the necessary kernel module. But i just have a bziped tarball in the /usr/src/ directory. Is this normal? Doesn't the apt-get install both GET and INSTALL the package? Becuase that doesn't seem to be the case, can someone explain a little more about what is exected of me to make it work? I uncompressed and untarred it and pointed the vmware tools install script to it but it barked about not finding the net or linux directory and failed. THanks