Re: Cannot load GNOME under Sarge

Hi Jim

> Still have not been able to run GNOME on Sarge. If I try to boot
> into GNOME I get a very brief view of a splash screen and then a small
> window pops up in the corner of the screen with the following message:
>
> "There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon."

I've just subscribed to the list, and haven't seen any earlier threads
about this problem, but figured I'd jump in.  Hope I'm not repeating
anything.

I've seen this problem a lot when there was a configuration problem on
my box, most frequently with NFS.  Is your home directory on a remote
host?

Suggest checking:
1. file access and locking (does gconftest-1 or similar succeed?
   if using NFS, are you using portmap, statd, and lockd?)
2. host name resolution (does your GNOME Desktop client's name resolve?)
3. unclean exit from previous session (do you have another instance of
   (oafd or similar still running, maybe clean out related /tmp files)
4. system logs

Hope this helps

--
Michael Wardle