Re: mozilla broken in sarge?

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Naomi Ridge wrote:

> That doesn't seem to be the problem - the loopback
> device appears to be up and running:
>
> > ifconfig
>
> [snip]
>
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>           RX packets:216 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> frame:0
>           TX packets:216 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
> carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:20360 (19.8 KiB)  TX bytes:20360
> (19.8 KiB)

As Martin mentioned, your loopback interface needs to have an IP address
assigned to it. Being up without an IP address won't work.

> However the problem seems a little more complicated
> than I first thought. With mozilla not working, I
> installed firebird as a temporary fix. It seemed to
> work fine at first, but then after a reboot I
> encountered the same problem - firebird freezes as
> soon as I click the mouse or hit a key in the window.
> However, if left, rather than killed, then after a few
> minutes it starts responding again, and I have no
> further problems.

I saw similar problems with both Mozilla and Firebird. They would both
hang most of the time, but work occasionally. Then I noticed that my
loopback device wasn't configured properly.

Fixing the loopback device configuration (by removing the inet-utils
package, which installs a broken ifconfig) fixed the Mozilla and Firebird
problems.

Make sure that you have only one ifconfig on your system, and that it is
from the net-tools package, not inet-utils.