Re: mozilla broken in sarge?

 --- mukesh agrawal <mukesh@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Is your loopback network interface configured?
>
> I've seen the same problem with mozilla on unstable.
> But it only
> happens if the loopback interface is down. If I
> bring up the loopback
> interface, the mozilla works.

That doesn't seem to be the problem - the loopback
device appears to be up and running:

> ifconfig

[snip]

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:216 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
frame:0
          TX packets:216 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:20360 (19.8 KiB)  TX bytes:20360
(19.8 KiB)

However the problem seems a little more complicated
than I first thought. With mozilla not working, I
installed firebird as a temporary fix. It seemed to
work fine at first, but then after a reboot I
encountered the same problem - firebird freezes as
soon as I click the mouse or hit a key in the window.
However, if left, rather than killed, then after a few
minutes it starts responding again, and I have no
further problems.

I have also noticed a similar problem with the GNOME
Panel buttons, but only when I am also online via a
PCMCIA ethernet card, connected using dhclient.

The system is Debian Sarge on a Toshiba Tecra 8000
laptop, with a PCMCIA ethernet card (3COM Megahertz
ethernet or Orinoco Wireless ethernet cards).

Thanks,

naomi.