CVS/SSH not playing nice

This is probably a FAQ, but if it is, I haven't found the FGA (frequently
given answer).

I can't get CVS+SSH to work under Woody. I'm pretty sure that my procedure
is correct, and I think I found the problem, but I have no idea what to do
about it.

My procedure does something like so:

  mkdir ${HOME}/foo
  export CVSROOT=:ext:${USER}@localhost:${HOME}/foo
  export CVS_RSH=ssh
  cvs init

The symptom is that CVS initiates the SSH connection, then freezes. I set
CVS_RSH to refer to a wrapper script which called `ssh -v -v -v $*` and
these are its dying words:

  debug1: Entering interactive session.
  debug2: callback start
  debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
  debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
  debug1: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
  debug1: Sending command: cvs server
  debug2: callback done
  debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 16384
  debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 32768

Using the aforementioned recipe, I got Potato to keep a CVS+SSH repository
on itself, and I got a Woody box to keep one on the Potato box, but I
cannot seem to get either to keep one on a Woody box, implying that it's a
problem with sshd on Woody (either programmatically or by configuration).

I googled frantically for this, and found an entry in a mailing list which
suggested that this is a bug in OpenSSH 2.3.x which has yet to be
resolved:

However, I purged the Woody SSH package and installed the Potato SSH
package (which is version 1) and it did not seem to fix the problem. I
also diffed the sshd_config from the working Potato machine and the
dysfunctional Woody machine but did not see any red flags.

I feel like a chicken with its head cut off, like the solution is easy but
I just don't know it. Alas, I'm just about out of ideas here. Help? :)

- Shane