Re: woody network installation problem: "Can't download adduser"

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 09:30:17AM -0400, sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> > > - I selected installation over network; 'drivers.tgz' and 'Release' were
> > >   downloaded from http.us.debian.org.
> > > - But then the installation stops saying "adduser not found"
> > > Have a suggestion? Thanks
> > Retrying has a moderate chance of working: http.us.debian.org refers to any
> > of a bunch of machines, some of which seem to have a tendency to be out of
> > date at any one time.
> Huh?  He said "adduser" not "address".

Right, which was probably while trying to download
adduser_<something>.deb.

potato boot-floppies worked like:
	get rescue/root image, boot up
	unpack the kernel based on the rescue image
	get drivers.tgz, unpack it, configure drivers
	get base.tgz, unpack it, configure it
	reboot

woody boot-floppies work like:
	get rescue/root image, boot up
	unpack the kernel based on the rescue image
	get drivers.tgz, unpacke it, configure drivers
	[ get dists/woody/Release
	  get dists/woody/main/Packages.gz
	  get pool/main/*/*/*.deb for all the packages in the base system
	  unpack the base system from the debs, configure it, etc
	]
	reboot

From the above report, it looks like the install was failing while
downloading some of the debs for the base system.

> The last time I tried to use the woody boot floppies, I failed miserably.
> Unless the current boot floppies are newer than last week, the easiest
> way to install woody is still to install potato and then upgrade.

There's a 2001-05-18 set which was within the last week which should be a
lot better. (Rather than a 100% chance of failing miserably, I'd guess it's
got more like a 70% or 80% chance...)

Cheers,
aj