RE: makepasswd very slow the second call

On 09-Nov-2000 Manuel Segura wrote:
> Hello,
> I work on Debian Potato,
> And I am generating passwords with makepasswd
> The first time I call it, it works fine, but the second time
> it is very slow: 7 to 9 seconds!
>
> Here is my code:
> PASSWORD=`makepasswd --chars 8 --count 1`
> PASSWORD=`makepasswd --chars 8 --count 1`

it reads /dev/random.  On a quiet system, there is not enough entropy for the
random generator to creates random numbers with.  Eventually enough data is
collected and the random generator gives a value.

Tab a control or shift key a few times.  Or run something like find first.