Re: boot floppies hang. kernel image problems

On Tue, May 04, 1999 at 11:38:40AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

>      Greetings,
>      I have been out of business for about six months because of this aha2940uw
> problem.
>
>      This problem is covered buy bug #'s 37074, 34845, 34749 and 34328 and
> appears too be caused by  the aic7xxx driver.  In my case, it affects both an
> aha2940uw and an aha2842 adapter.  Both of my PC's at homehave either of these
> devices and both hang after downloading 419 instructions in the case of the
> aha2940uw or some other number of instructions, I forget, for the aha2842
> adapter.  Slackware and Red Hat installation disks are unaffected and perform
> normally.

You can try:

   http://debian.efis.ucr.ac.cr/~mmagallo/resc1440+aic-5.1.15.bin

(beware! this is going to be SLOOOOOOW to download, better try between 0200
and 1400 GMT)

That's a 2.0.36 kernel, configured the same way the rescue floppy is, but
using the aic driver version 5.1.15.

I was stupid enough to remove that kernel's source ("oh, what's this
v2.0.36+debian+adaptec-from-hell dir?  I dunno, let's remove it! ... no!
wait! too late"), but I don't think anyone would have anytrouble recreating
this.

A couple of weeks ago I gave this to someone here that's having the same
problems, but he's on Dallas right now and I don't have access to his box,
so I don't know if this works or not...

					Marcelo