Re: Application for approval of the Debian Med Sprint 2015

Hi Olivier,

On 08/07/14 at 10:40 +0200, olivier sallou wrote:
> The DebianMed team is planning to hold a Sprint meeting in Saint-Malo,
> in France from January 30 to Februrary 02 (dates to be confirmed soon
> with the hotel but will occur at this period).
>
> This is the 5th sprint event of the team. More info will come on the
> wiki page (https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2015/DebianMed2015)
>
> Goal of this sprint is to progress on medical/bioinformatics packaging
> in collaboration with the Bio-Linux community and discuss on
> biology/bioinformatics problems to tackle in Debian to attract new
> users to our disctribution.
>

> We expect between 15 and 20 person from all over Europe, as per
> previous sprints. We hope for the sponsoring of 4 ou 5 DDs, with an
> estimated average cost of 400 Euros each. The DDs will share rooms and
> pay for their food to keep costs down.
>
> Hoping for a positive acceptance from the DPL, this list and our
> community at large

I must admit that I have second thoughts on this. Sprints are generally
organized at locations that are cost-effective for Debian, because we
need to remember that our funds come from donations.

Organizing such a sprint at a touristic location like Saint-Malo does
not send a message I'm comfortable with. On the other hand, I recognize
that january/february might not be considered a touristic time, even for
Saint-Malo.

Did you consider other venues such as IRILL (or maybe IRISA, since they
are listed as a supporter of the event)?
Would that change the costs significantly?

Thanks,

Lucas