Re: Sparc 6.0.3: multiple Nautilus file manager process after few minutes from fresh install

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 11:37:08AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> >> I still hope, that the next Debian release on SPARC will be better. I
> >> can't believe, that such a buggy SPARC release as Squeeze was released
> >> as "stable".. :(
> >
> >Bugs only have a chance of getting fixed if they are reported.
> >
> >Hoping will not make it better. Good bug reports (with patches, if
> >possible) might.
>
> Certainly. For sure. No problem. And how long did it take Debian to
> sort out the known issue that screwed local X on a U1 etc? My
> understanding is that it /had/ been bug reported, and was generally
> believed to have been fixed in either the kernel or X, but it quite
> simply didn't get onto the Lenny CD or into the repositories
> resulting in a number of people who asked in this ML how to get
> their machines running and were basically told that they couldn't.

I believe I know what but you're talking about, and yes, it wasn't handled
perfectly, but *it was handled*, as opposed to the aforementioned bug that's
getting reported to the mailing list many months after the release *shrug*

I clicked on that UDD link posted in the thread and selected squeeze, and
found only one bug report mentioning sparc, and it didn't seem to be about
this issue. So, the first step here would be for someone who can describe
the symptoms to report this.

> Quite frankly, I gave up trying to work out detailed fixes for
> things

Nobody's really expecting people to work out detailed fixes, just to report
bugs to the BTS. Jurij's sentence above was probably unclear - it's certain
that hoping won't make it better, and it's certain good reports might, but
the intermediate state - any kind of bug reports - is also much better than
nothing.

Even if you don't have any idea what's wrong, do report it, because it can
help others congregate around the report - it often happens that people
google their symptoms, find the bug report, and then some of them contribute
something more useful.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.