Re: sparc meeting requirements for etch

* Frans Pop (aragorn@tiscali.nl) wrote:
> On Thursday 22 September 2005 16:03, Ben Collins wrote:
> > What we lack is someone pointing to an IP address saying, saying
> > "Here's an 8-way UltraSPARC 4000 hosted on a multihomed T3, here's root
> > access, we wont touch the box, and it will be there for as long as you
> > need it. I, the company president, personally ok use of our resources
> > for Debian."
>
> So who has the contacts to arrange something like this (although I guess
> slightly lower specs would still be acceptable)?
> As I understand it debian-sparc is effectively dead if an extra machine is
> not found on this basis.

I've been working this issue through my management folks.  I need to
write up a briefing on why it'd be good for us to host it and I've been
slacking on that- sorry. :/  I'll try to write the briefing and get on
the director's schedule next week.  I'd need the actual sparc box but it
sounds like we've got the hardware.  I do have an ultra1 I could use but
it sounds like there's much better available.

Assuming management approves, it'd be on a multihomed network on a fibre
ring, I think we have something like 15Mbs from our ISPs.  It'd be in
one of the labs I'm the lab manager for behind 2 badge readers with very
limited access and probably in a locked rack (assuming it's a rack-mount
machine).

Anyway, I've been working with vorlon and dilinger (iirc) on it and
hopefully will have something positive to talk about next week.

	Thanks,

		Stephen