Re: Status of Debian on Sun Blade 150

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Wiktor Wandachowicz wrote:

Frans Pop wrote:
With sun-disklabel you are not allowed to put swap or RAID or LVM at the
start of the disk. ext2/ext3 are OK.

Frans, if you are referring to #283303, I thought that we've fixed it. At least the bug is marked 'fixed' when version 62 of partman has been uploaded, and I remember testing it and confirming that the bug is gone.
Version in RC3 is 63, so it should be fixed there too.

I didn't do it. Solaris 9 installer did it! It is the one who put
swap space at clusters 0-258:

# fdisk -l /dev/hda

Disk /dev/hda (Sun disk label): 16 heads, 255 sectors, 19156 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4080 * 512 bytes

  Device Flag    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
  /dev/hda1           258       319    124440   83  Linux native  /boot
  /dev/hda2  u          0       258    526320    3  SunOS swap
  /dev/hda3             0     19156  39078240    5  Whole disk
  /dev/hda4         15391     19156   7680600    2  SunOS root
  /dev/hda5          3660      6744   6291360   83  Linux native  /
(sarge1)
  /dev/hda6          6744     10574   7813200   83  Linux native  /home
  /dev/hda7         10574     15391   9826680   83  Linux native  /
(sarge2)
  /dev/hda8           319      3660   6815640    8  SunOS home

Wow, this is one complicated partition configuration. I would not be too surprised that partman chokes on it. I was trying to suggest to create a clean disklabel before partitioning, but as I understand it is out of the question =).

User error. That's impolite. 'Cause I've spent LOTS of time crafting
that multiboot configuration. The best proof is that installer DID
everything correctly first time (when all partitions were right), then
after formatting swap (hda2) it turned out that it was unable to display
partitions list anymore. From my POV it is the one to blame.

If it is indeed user error (I mean: the Solaris installer's and my error),
then I'm terribly sorry. But in that case please elaborate more how it
should be done The Right Way. Keep in mind that multiboot with a spare
partition is a must.

Everyone is working towards the same goal here, so let's not get too picky about the choice of words. Please try partitioning with fdisk, as Frans suggested. If it will work as expected, we can be pretty confident that the problem lies with partman. Also, it would be interesting to see whether parted and fdisk recognize the partition sizes and types correctly on a runnning system.

Thanks and best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org