kernel woes

OK, here I am throwing myself on the mercy of the Debian SPARC community.
I have an Ultra10 (440MHz, 256Mb RAM) that I'm planning to use as a
general-purpose home LAN server.  Ran into varied and sundry problems with
Sarge install CDs, but was successful in booting and installing from a
Woody CD.  Base system installs fine, I edit /etc/apt/sources.list to
reflect sarge and the apt-get dist-upgrade went swimmingly.  All's good
thus far with my shiny new Sarge-on-SPARC install, but it's running kernel
2.4.18.  Here's where my fun begins...

If I install kernel-image 2.4.24 via apt (the most current available from
official mirror sites), I can boot into the new kernel but then the
machine is unable to connect out.  No ftp, no ssh, no http, nothing.
However, inbound connectivity is fine.  This made my head hurt, so I moved
onto Plan B: The Reinstall.

Reference the above and we're back at Sarge with 2.4.18.  Now I get clever
and  install kernel-sources 2.4.25, compile my own and install it.  I
edited my silo.conf to have linux (2.4.25) and linuxOLD (2.4.18), unlike
what I get when I did the apt-get install of the kernel (which was only
one option, the new kernel).  So I reboot and now silo tells me it can't
find the vmlinuz file for EITHER of the kernels.  My silo.conf is
something like this (from memory):

partition=1
root=/dev/hda1
image=/vmlinuz-2.4.25.042904
label=linux

image=/vmlinuz-2.4.18-sun4u
label=linuxOLD

(OK, this is one long-ass email.  Time to wrap up!)
So my questions are thus:

How can I tell silo to boot either of my existing kernels?  And what have
I done wrong in any of these cases??

Thanks
Randy