Re: [newbie] Install/Boot problem

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the quick reply ;-)

On Monday 26 Apr 2004 12:05 am, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Sunday 25 April 2004 16:37, Everard Brown wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have installed woody via 'net boot'. All went well, but I can't
> > boot from the hard disk.
> >
> > System: SPARCstation 20
> >         32Mb RAM
> >         No floopy or CDROM drive
> >
> > Issues that make me suspicious include:
> >
> > o I used the 's' parameter in fdisk to partition this disk. This gave
> > me: sda1 /
> >   sda2 swap
> >   sda3 Whole Disk
> >
> > o SILO refused to install.
>
> sda1 (the partition containing /boot) probably extends past the first
> 1GB of disk space.  On SparcStation 20s, the partition that
> contains /boot must completely reside in the first 1GB of disk space
> (due to OpenBOOT bugs/restrictions)

That sounds a very likely cause of my problem, but when I try to create the
Sun disk label ('s' option in fdisk) that is always the default.

Can anyone suggest how I might acheive a partitioning scheme which would be
acceptable to the install program?

I already tried to split the space allocated to sda1, but I couldn't get the
unused part of the partition back.

I'll have a more detailed look at the fdisk options...

All suggestions are still very welcome.

 Everard