Re: Sarge on a Sparc5

I tried out sarge and sid installers on a 70 MHz SS5 with 64M RAM and
original 550M HDD and had similar problems (tried only netboot install):

> The entire install halted with the following lines:

> Setting up filesystem please wait....
> busybox[8]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
> busybox[9]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
> busybox[11]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
> busybox[12]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
> init[10]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
> busybox[13]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188

These are not fatal, my working sparcs display a lot of these 188's with
2.4 kernels but still work. 2.6 kernel does not emit these messages.

> Needless to say I'm stuck.  Is there a parameter I need to put in
> before boot or will this work at all on this old box?

I received the following output from sarge installer 20040315:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
busybox[7]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
init[1]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
 Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

And from sid 20040411:

Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
busybox[7]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
busybox[8]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
busybox[10]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
busybox[11]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
init[9]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
busybox[12]: Unimplemented SPARC system call 188
umount: /initrd: Invalid argument
(and hangs here)

Leaving out the noise of Unimpl..., it's the same result as on mips
(R4k Indy). Seems to be a more general debian-installer problem to me.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@linux.ee)