Re: Sound questions for SparcStation 5

* Daniel L?nn <daniel.lonn@edu.norrtalje.se> [020415 01:22]:
> there's sound from the /internal/ speaker. But I want to use my own,
> seince the sound is nt quite "Crystal" (LOL) clear... you know.
>
> I know this is a general hardware question, but where am I supposed to
> find an answer? I've searced www.sun.com and docs.sun.com and it says:
> "Yes, there you can connect your external speakers/headphones" , and "yes,
> of course you can use your own speakers if you'd like" ...
>
> Plase, does anyone know?
> Again, a SparcStation 5, 110 MHz model...

This sort of stuff is controlled with the "audioctl" program.  First
off, make sure you have a /dev/audioctl ... if not, make it with a
"mknod /dev/audioctl c 14 7".  Then use audioctl, which is a part of the
"sparc-utils" package.  (But it's missing from potato, so let me know if
you're using that and I'll help you get the source or a binary.)

        [01:36am] fruits:~# audioctl -a | grep play
        play.rate=8000
        play.channels=1
        play.precision=8
        play.encoding=ulaw
        play.gain=136
        play.balance=32
        play.port=0x1 (speaker (0x1))
        play.avail_ports=0x7 (speaker (0x1)|headphone (0x2)|line out (0x4)|line_out (0x4))
        play.samples=134810123
        play.eof=0
        play.pause=0
        play.error=17
        play.waiting=0
        play.open=0
        play.active=0
        play.buffer_size=0

Notice the "play.avail_ports" and the "play.port"?  You can (through
software) configure the audio to play on the certain outputs and not
others in any combination you'd like.  Just do the math on it (add the
hex values) and set it to whatever you'd like... like:

        [01:38am] fruits:~# audioctl -w play.port=0x3
        play.port: -> 0x3 (speaker (0x1)|headphone (0x2))

That should have it on the speaker and headphones at the same time, etc.
Hope that helps. :)