Re: Cannot boot from disk on ss20 running woody

well, using cat an the /proc system, I get this information out of the ss20 box:

chj@fw:~$ cat /proc/openprom/options/boot-device
'disk net'
chj@fw:~$ cat /proc/openprom/options/boot-file
chj@fw:~$

so perhaps I need to set these to, hmm, what?

Cheers,

/ChJ

digihans wrote:

Hi all,

Perhaps you set it correctly, but you did not mention it:
What is the default boot device  (eg drive) setting of the open boot-prom?
If it does not point to where the primary bootloader is located (I guess in your
case sda...)
It will try to execute someting else, not necesarily sparc binary code.
I had the same message a while ago after i reinstalled the system, and forgot to
set this variable.

You can check it under linux with the eeprom command, or with printenv at the
open-boot-prom level.

Hans.

Christian Jönsson wrote:

Ingo T. Storm wrote:

Hi,

Hej.

I have woody installed on both an ss20 and an ss5. On the ss5 I boot >

from disk but that does not work onth ss20 @Illegal instruction@

something. I boot the ss20 from the rescue disk.

Could it be that vmlinux is not within the first 1GB? Seems it has to be
there for silo/openboot to be ably to load it.

Nah, don't think so. This is the putput of df on my ss20:

chj@fw:~$ df -h
/dev/sda4             718M  564M  118M  83% /
/dev/sda1              19M  3.5M   14M  19% /boot
/dev/sdb1             986M  359M  577M  39% /usr
/dev/sdc1             688M  482M  172M  74% /var
/dev/sdc2             640M  457M  150M  76% /home
/dev/sdd1             984M  324M  610M  35% /share1
/dev/sdd2             982M  785M  147M  85% /share2
chj@fw:~$

and this is the content of /boot

chj@fw:~$ ls /boot/
C0A80102.SUN4M
          fd.b       lost+found  tftpboot.img
System.map-2.2.19-sun4cdm  first.b    old.b       ultra.b
cd.b
                  generic.b  second.b    vmlinuz
config-2.2.19-sun4cdm
   ieee32.b   silotftp.b  vmlinuz-2.2.19-sun4cdm
chj@fw:~$

and finally this is my silo.conf:

chj@fw:~$ less /etc/silo.conf
partition=1
root=/dev/sda4
timeout=100
image=1/vmlinuz
label=linux
read-only
chj@fw:~$

So really, I'm out of ideas. If you have any, please help me out.

Cheers,

/ChJ