Re: glibc 2.1.1 linking problems

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 08:22:57AM -0700, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Ben> Bingo, glibc 2.1.1 requires a 2.2 kernel. The 2.2 kernels run
>     Ben> better on sparc anyway. IPX is sun4c correct? If so then you
>     Ben> can use the stock 2.2.5 source and the glibc 2.1.1 should
>     Ben> work just fine.
>
> New data point for you: glibc2.1.1 *still* fails with a stock 2.2.6
> kernel on my SS5-170 at home.
>
> The 170 is, however, special in it's MMU configuration (Derrick only
> added 170 support to the 2.0 kernels around 2.0.3[56]).  I can
> probably test it on an SS5-110 at work that is currently a stock
> Debian 2.1 system, but I was keeping that box clean to use for
> securing NMUs etc.  Does glibc2.1 require any other packages to be
> upgraded, e.g. sysvinit?

It requires only the latest cvs kernel for the sun4m. Sun4[cu] and
seemingly sun4d only need a 2.2.x kernel of some kind.

> Alternatively, I can try the latest cvs kernel, but how bleeding edge
> do we want to be?

The CVS kernel is just like the stock one. Things that are unstable are
marked with [EXPIERAMENTAL], but the reason for the CVS is to keep the
sparc and ppc arch in sync with general kernel changes. It's actually more
stable in most cases becuase of this, and is usually required to even
compile the latest kernels for sprc (2.2.[56] being the latest
exceptions).

Again, the only problem we are having is sun4m requirng a very recent
kernel version. Glibc 2.1.1 will have to atleast recommend this kernel
once it is in the archive.