Re: Can I update the sparc glibc?

Chris Trainor <christr@macross.com> writes:

> On 19 Dec 1998, Steve Dunham wrote:
>
> > Is this problem kernel dependent, I don't see these problems on either
> > the Ultra5 or SparcStation20 with the same programs and glibc, but I'm
> > running 2.1.x on both machines.

> Ok, I just booted my SS5 up with 2.1.130 and I can run things again.
> (dpkg, man, etc).

I'm not surprised.  Christian Meder pointed out the problem, for some
reason the "sparc-sigaction" patch was not in the list of patches to
be applied.  I looked at the source and the patch only applies to
2.0.x kernels (and, perhaps, old 2.1.x kernels) - so I didn't notice
the problem (except that I should have noticed that there wasn't a
"patch-sparc-sigaction" file.

I'm rebuilding it now, it should be ready in 5 hours.  (I haven't
timed it on an Ultra5, but I think it's under 5 hours.)  I'll let you
know when it's done.  The new glibc should fix everything.  The "libc6"
package is the only thing touched by the patch, so you don't
have to download everything.

> The only problem with 2.1.130 on my machine, is it's not entirely stable.
> :)

That's unfortunate, the 2.1.x kernels are nice.  Are you using the CVS
kernel, or the "official" (torvald) one?  I've always had better luck
with cvs kernels.  I hope they fix the problems you are having before
2.2.x).

The 2.0.35 kernel doesn't boot on my Sparc20 (I suspect it's either
the two graphics cards or the newer boot prom), so we're stuck using
different kernels.

I'll let you know when the compile is done.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu