Re: fail2ban vs. syslogd compression

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 12:34:13PM +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Most people on dynamic IPs don't have the same address for more than a
> day!  Yes, you'll be an innocent victim of the spammers, but normally
> only if you try to send mail directly to our mailservers.  In which
> case we don't want it, thank you, because in that case your computer
> has probably been compromised.  (You wouldn't want to be making other
> kinds of connections to our mailservers, would you? :)  Your computer
> should use your service provider's mailservers to send your mail to
> our mailservers.  If you run a mailserver it should be on a static IP
> and it, along with your DNS data, should be properly configured.

Most people on "dynamic" IPs assigned by DSL and cable networks
have the same IP for months at a time. Sometimes years. I had
the same IP address for three years, despite the MediaOne being
bought by AT&T and then by Comcast.

I run a mailserver for personal use. I don't trust mailservers
outside of my control, and history seems to have proven me
right. It has a CNAME through DynDNS. Would you like to guess
how many domains won't accept email from me because of that
dynamic IP?

26. At least, that's the number of domains that I specially
route mail through a friend's box with a static IP.

> Incidentally we also block _all_ connections (not just mail) from most
> of Africa, Arab countries, Bangladesh, Canada, China, Denmark, Eastern
> Europe, France, India, Israel, Italy, Portugal, Russia, South America,
> Spain, Taiwan, Turkey...

You don't do business with anyone in any of those countries?

Hrm. I highly encourage you to evangelize your methods among my
competitors.

-dsr-

--
Every time you give up a right, the terrorists win.