Re: using sarge on production machines

--- Marc Haber <mh+debian-security@zugschlus.de> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 02:25:17AM -0800, Harry wrote:
> > use UML and chroot it and run sarge in it.
>
> What does this gain you? A compomised uml is as bad as a compromised
> system.

I can wipe the UML if the host has not been compromised. This saves me
a journey to the location where the host is stored and £75 quid to get
to the machine to reinstall the host.

If I have ten customers running various falvours of Debian in their UML
its sods law that eventually one of them is going to be cracked. If I
can prevent (as much as feasbly possible) this from spilling onto the
host then it saves me a lot of work.

Harry