Re: Compromised system - still ok?

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 11:53:50PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:52:50PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > > it's best when you can call the fbi (on the phone) and say, they're
> > > back,  trace um "NOW"
> >
> > Obviously you've never done this.
>
> and obviously you seem too lazy to catch the cracker ??
>
> don't accuse others ( me ) of what you haven't done yourself,
> or dont want to do, as it only makes you look like the script kiddie

Three step program for you, bub.

1) Place your feet on your shoulders;
2) Push hard;
3) Take your first breath of arse-free air in a long time.

I have reported intruders to the relevant authorities in the past, and have
encountered an apathy field the size of a small continent.  The only way
they will even vaguely give a damn is there is easily demonstrated loss of a
significant amount.  They've got bigger fish to fry.  Considering that there
are 100,000 node botnets running around capable of bringing more or less any
website in existence to it's knees, and the Feds seem in no hurry to bring
those down, nor to do an awful lot to stop the infection at it's source, I
can't imagine they'd be even vaguely interested in some two-bit penetration.

- Matt