better apt security with 3rd-party sites

Hi,

I've often questioned the security of adding 3rd-party sites to my
sources.list that are required for various non-free or other packages
that aren't in Debian yet.  Basically, I am putting the security of my
system at the mercy of however secure their system happens to be, by
allowing them to run arbitrary code as root on my system.

Would it be a good idea to add a flag to an apt source somehow, that
would be passed along to dpkg, to prevent any maintainer scripts from
being run and prevent any executables being made setuid?  This way, the
user would be able to pick and choose what sites he trusts, rather than
hoping on every apt-get update/upgrade that none of his 3rd-party
sources have been rooted recently.

There is no reason that most 3rd-party packages need to run maintainer
scripts since the packages tend not to be very complex.  Why give an
attacker another easy vector?

Note that I ignore trojaned binaries/libraries.  The reason is that,
without setuid, you would have to purposefully run these as root,
hopefully knowing the consequences for doing so; there are warnings
everywhere that you should not run untrusted code as root.  Maintainer
scripts, OTOH, are run with full root privileges nearly invisibly to the
typical user and as a part of software installation.  So simply
installing software, not even running it, from a compromised source
could get your machine rooted.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any ideas for taking some of the
implicit trust out of software installation from non-Debian sources.

thanks,

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>