Re: services installed and running "out of the box"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:33:00AM -0700, Adam Lydick wrote:
> I like that idea, and it sounds fairly simple - packages just check
> /etc/secure_level (or something similar) and do the "right thing". The
> tricky part is convincing every package maintainer to adopt it ;)

Well, Mandrake packages IIRC do not parse or understand the "security
level", there's a wrapper script that makes changes to them (permissions,
for example) based on the "security" level selected. The script is called
'msec' (http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/mdoc/ref/prog-msec.html). From my
pov:

msec = (Checksecurity|Tiger) && Bastille

> There are some "hardening" packages available, but I haven't had a
> chance to play with them yet. (and I didn't want them breaking my setup
> while I didn't have time to fix things)

There are several "hardening" packages, basicly two: Bastille and all the
harden-* stuff [1] They are, however, lacking in a number of areas and are
not as good as doing this in the core system (i.e. in the kernel through
kernel patches [2])

Regards

Javi

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch6.en.html