Re: RSA not an easy crack

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 11:18:16AM +0200, DSC Siltec wrote:
> Specifically, I think that if you have the public key, and the
> encrypted data, and know (or can guess) what the unencrypted data
> is, then you can quickly deduce the private key.

I forgot to mention: in encryption scenarios with RSA (as opposed to
digital signatures), the "unencrypted data" is a randomly-generated
session key for a symmetric cipher, which is used to encrypt the actual
unencrypted data.  The session key is encrypted with RSA and then
discarded.

Finding the "unencrypted data" in this case is equivalent to either
cracking the session key RNG, or cracking the symmetric cipher, the
ability to do either of which obviates the need to deduce the RSA
private key in the first place.

    -Michael Robinson