Re: was I cracked? (rpc.statd, new version)

Thank you all for the hints.
I think I will install tripwire for the future. I didn't have it up to now,
so for the moment it does not tell me much. The hacked machine is the only
one with 2.2 I control, so checking the binaries would involve unpacking debs
by hand, I guess. I have looked at creation times and setuid flags, and I
have run a portscan from outside and haven't found anything unusual.
So as Ethan said, I think I survived...

I have tried the exploit myself from outside on my machine. It produced a
similar entry in the logs, the script reported to have 'failed', and my shy
test command (touch /blah) was not executed. This seems evidence to me that
it was actually the old rpc.statd hole he/she tried to crack, and I know my
version is safe (not because my own attack failed, but because debian says
so).
I will
 - install tripwire to observe more
 - remove nfs-common (the machine is a fresh install, I couldn't go over all
the services yet)

Thank you for your help

Lukas

--
Tempobrain AG - Dufourstrasse 179 - 8008 Zürich
http://www.tempobrain.com | icq # 5856 2285