Re: Using videos in presentations

Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda <leo@alaxarxa.net> writes:

> Bonjour Pierre,
>
> El 18/9/23 a les 21:28, Pierre Gruet ha escrit:
>
> [...]
>
>> Putting
>> \usepackage{movie15}
>> in the preamble (movie15.sty being provided by texlive-latex-extra),
>> one can later include a movie with, for instance,
>> \begin{frame}
>>      \begin{figure}
>>          \includemovie[poster,
>> controls]{.75\paperwidth}{.75\paperheight}{path/to/video}
>>      \end{figure}
>> \end{frame}
>> which is not perfect though, as (with evince, on Debian) it prints
>> some funny picture on the slide, then I have to exit full screen
>> during the presentation and click the picture to launch the video --
>> it has been far enough for me for many years.
>> Running the same .pdf with other operating systems could give you a
>> better result, amazingly.
>> Maybe some better rendering can be achieved with the options of
>> \includemovie -- see the docs.
>
> Reading [1], it seems that movie15 is deprecated. media9 is the
> package to use (texlive-latex-extra), but stills has some lacks. In
> any case, it is not an easy task.

But note also that media9's author says [2]:

 "Playback of multimedia files relies on Adobe Flash Player which
 supports the efficient H.264 codec for video compression."

and

 "Note that Adobe Reader for Linux has dropped Flash support since
 version 9.4.2."

So while things may very well continue to work fine on free PDF viewers
(such as Evince, Okular, etc.), you can't rely on this for video
playback in a setting where you run a risk of Acrobat Reader being the
viewer, such as at a conference.

(FWIW: I've never dared to rely on embedded videos myself, instead
finding browser video support reliable enough to take the liberty to
flip focus to a prepared browser window that plays the video. It's not
exactly the slickest show, but I've never had an organizer object
either.)

[2] https://gitlab.com/agrahn/media9

 -- Gard