Re: Looking for feedback on a recent upload

Lumin wrote on 29/06/2018:
> 1. Git repository layout in question
>
>    File debian/source/format writes "3.0 (quilt)", so the master
>    branch should hold the "packaging commits" instead of the
>    "upstream commits". By the way, please always keep the
>    "upstream" and "pristine-tar" branches up to date. In order
>    to achieve that, you can use this command when importing
>    a new upstream verison:
>
>    │
>    │ $ gbp import-orig --pristine-tar XXX_YYY.orig.tar.gz
>    │

Dear Lumin,

I maintain a couple of package in debian-science using the classic
workflow you describe, but I normally prefer the "pure git" workflow and
the DEP14 branch layout. DEP14 clearly conflicts with the debian-science
policy, but I'm not sure about the "pure git" approach.

By "pure git" I basically mean having the upstream repository as a
remote, fetching and merging new upstream versions via git, and using
(possibly signed) tags instead of tarballs. It is still possible to
maintain a pristine-tar branch, if desired, and uscan has a very handy
‘mode=git’ option (see for example [1]).

Is this workflow to be considered incompatible debian-science's policy?

Cheers,

Paride

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/debian-phototools-team/imv/blob/debian/sid/debian/watch