Re: Sponsor upload request for new package python-clam

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 07:10:03PM +0100, Maarten van Gompel wrote:
> I've had this package laying on the shelf for almost a year and finally got
> round to finishing it, I'm now looking for a sponsor for upload:
>
>     python-clam
>     https://anonscm.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/python-clam.git
>
> The original ITP:
>     https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=805720
>
> It's been tested and verified to work for both Python 2 and Python 3. There are
> some lintian overrides which I attempted to justify in comments in the override
> file, and there will be a few more lintian warnings still if you run in
> pedantic mode.

* d/control:
  + X-Python-Version in the py3 package is obviously wrong
  + I've never seen ${python:Version} used, where this is coming from?
    It looks very fishy to me.
* d/changelog:
  + only the "inital release" line should be there
  + and you have a trailing whitespace at line 3
* d/clamclient.1
  + accessible only through -h, and manpages generated by help2man?  so,
    where are the options?
* d/clamservice.1
  + this is basically empty?!
* d/rules:
  + get rid of pointless comments, please
  + why are you overriding the default shebang rewrite?
* d/s/options
  + tar-ignore=.git and .gitignore is unneeded for source format 3.0,
    and why that list of clam/config/ stuff?  if that is autogenerated
    I'd rather like to see it in d/clean or such
* d/source.lintian-overrides:
  + i usually prefer this file in d/s/lintian-overrides btw
  + libjs-jquery-ui is packaged, please use it (and get rid of that
    embedded copy?)
  + ditto for libjs-jquery-datatables
  + and there is also a jquery.fineuploader (doesn't seem packaged this
    one though) :(  https://wiki.debian.org/EmbeddedCodeCopies
* so you're building the same thing for py3 and py2, installing both and
  have them conflict (which is even forbidden for priority:optional
  packages, even).  I don't think this is the best approach.  I'd create
  a 3rd package ('clam' perhaps?), and install there the py3 scripts,
  and the manpages.  And just rm the scripts installed by pybuild in the
  py2 package.  At this point I'd seriously consider whether there is a
  point in shipping python-clam at all, but I'll leave this to you.

Note that I haven't done a copyright review yet.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :