Re: What's the difference between CRAN Cairo and cairoDevice

Hi Andreas,

[ Lucky I found this -- procmail sticks this into the debian-science folder
which I do not visit as often as my normal inbox ... ]

On 18 August 2016 at 08:52, Andreas Tille wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
|
| I've got a request to install Cairo[1] which from the description sounds
| pretty similar to your package r-cran-cairodevice from[2].  Both R
| packages seem to be maintained.  Could you explain the difference and
| do you think its sensible to package Cairo in addition?

Yes, see

  https://cloud.r-project.org/package=Cairo
  https://cloud.r-project.org/package=cairoDevice

These are simply two similar and somewhat overlapping packages.

CRAN is not unlike Debian in that such feature overlap is not policed against
(and that is a good thing).  As I recall, Cairo is newer.

I once needed cairoDevice so I packaged it -- if you now have a rev.dep on
Cairo you will have to package that.

Dirk

--
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org