Re: Alioth /git/debian-science/packages directory

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:17:59PM +0100, Anton Gladky wrote:

> > I thought that the packages from robotics blend could go to a folder (for
> > instance robotics). So, my question is what do you think if we are moving
> > the
> > git repo to a folder with the name of the blend, or something that classify
> > it?
> >

> I do not think, that it is necessary and can improve anything. IMHO.

+1

There is also no such thing like a Robotics Blend - there is rather a
robotics task inside Debian Science.  Starting with subfolders would
have the consequence that we would need to touch all those existing
packages to upgrade their VCS fields and I can not see any measurable
profit for our users when we do so.

Moreover several libraries which are currently mentioned in the robotics
task are also mentioned in other tasks - so where to put these (and
again why).

While the Blends concept is actually also intended to help forming a
dedicated team using a common technique it is flexible enough to work
with differently located packages.  We have even packages included which
are maintained by single maintainers without VCS who are not even aware
about the Blends concept (which is not an ideal situation but works).
Currently Robotics is just a part of Debian Science and there is no
point in splitting up further (at least at the moment).

However, if you want to follow the Debian Astro route by trying to
attract a larger developer team focussing specifically on robotics
creating their own robotics tasks covering different fields in the
robotics area it might make sense to create a Robotics project on
Alioth.  For certain reasons I have explained here in the process
of starting Debian Astro I'm in favour of this *if* (and only if)
there are good signs that a strong team can be formed to attract a
wider Robotics community.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--