Preparing packages Freifunk (WLAN mesh) gateways for Debian

Hello,

local students and resident geeks have collected a series of
technologies on top of OpenWRT to establish an IPv6 mesh of
Wifi routers. A subset of machines of a mesh island links to
the InterNet and all nodes together form a private network.
More on http://www.freifunk.net (German).

There are tons of ideas about it all. Mine, which links it to
Debian Science a bit, is the support of sensors to those routers
(decent enough models with USB ports start at $15) so we get a
sensor net. Others see solar devices to have emergency internet
set up in a mostly brainless way.

Some brain power remains to be required for the setup of gateways
to the Internet. Every community needs a few of those, commonly
with different providers / hosters. I am now helping with the
packaging of that gateway software infrastructure for Debian,
hoping to further smoothen the overall experience with such
community networks.

I'll keep this list informed about respective progress and will
eventually point to an apt-get based recipe to set things up.
I would like to hear about similar efforts at other corners of
the world. Also, if there are corners in the world with an
interest to employ this technology, I would do my best to find
local mentors and/or to help out myself. My upcoming corner
is our Internet-free institute cellar with freezers to
cheapishly monitor their temperature.

Many greeting

Steffen