Re: Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group

Thibaut Paumard <mlotpot.news@free.fr> writes:
> Le 13/03/2014 10:08, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr a écrit :
>> The idea of a sprint is also on my mind; however I am afraid that there
>> are still only very few people going to take part, and I feel still
>> unsure on how to organize it.

> A videocon would be in order.

Still, a personal meeting as a startup would be nice. On Videocons, the
time is quite limited, people tend to do something on their laptops
during talk etc.

>> You are however right: it is the right time to setup some Debian
>> infrastructure for it. I'll do that in the next days.

> I agree, I was about to set it up after this e-mail, but Ole is the
> right person (probably the most active project contributor in the field).
>
> For the bike-shedding: I propose to use one of
>
>  debian-astro
>  debian-astronomy
>  pkg-astro

> This is my order of preference, although many people will associate the
> short name "astro" with astrology rather than astronomy. Yet "astro" is
> shorter than astronomy and is also a short-hand for astrophysics.

I'd prefer debian-astronomy or -astrophysics. Otherwise we will have
discussions about the inclusion of astrology
software. debian-astrophysics may soound too professional and prevent
amateurs from joining. Probably the name is open for voting ;-)

> IMHO, a wiki is a good place to document: [...]
>  3- our TODO list and timeline, things that I don't think can be
> efficiently represented in the blend file

I will just upload what I have to the wiki. If it turns out to be not
useful at this place, we can still move it, revert to the old page or
whatever.