Status of VTK package

Dear all,

  I would like to start working on VTK package, in particular the VTK
5.8.0 release. As seen recently VTK package is becoming a beast to
maintain, as such I would like to move this package over to
debian-science-maint, and add myself as Uploader (and also switch
DM-Upload to Yes).

  The now famous bug #506992, seems to need a slightly different
approach now in VTK 5.8 as the old EXPORT_LIBRARY_DEPENDENCIES() call
has been replaced with proper new function : install(EXPORT). One now
need to fix vtk-5.8/VTKTargets-debug.cmake to have proper full path to
libraries (eg. vtkIO.so ...)

  Could the vtk package maintainer confirm, that:
- I can move the git repository from collab-maint to debian-science
git repository
- What is the convention used for packaging vtk in git ? Do you use
git-buildpackage ? Is there a tutorial page which describe the
convention as used for vtk ? How do I import my patch over to a git
debian repository ?

  I do have some time to work on it now, this would be very helpful I
believe to have a VTK 5.8.0 in experimental as early as possible.

My current VTK 5.8.0 package can be found at:
https://alioth.debian.org/~malat-guest/vtk/

Thanks for your time,
--
Mathieu