Need help/advice with NIST dataplot

I want to install nist dataplot on a squeeze i686 computer running X.
I haven't found any precompiled package by Googling and have started
trying to compile from source.

First, maybe I don't need to compile from source --- Is there a
package for this in Debian? What is the package name?

But if there isn't, I need help translating instruction from NIST into
script settings that give Debian gfortran accurate information about
my software libraries. The libraries that they need me to give
settings for are called

GD, LIBPLOT, or READLINE

I think I have readline (lowercase) which I think might satisfy the
READLINE need. But I don't understand what GD or LIBPLOT are in the
Debian package naming convention. Also apparently I can set either yes
or not for each and I don't understand the implications of not having
one or more of them. I am running X11 and would like to have the full
GUI experience. Are these three alternatives, only one of which is
needed? Or what? I have never seen dataplot run, so I don't know what
to expect when I've gotten it compiled and installed correctly.

I think I need help in formulating intelligent questions about this.

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net