Re: Reproducibility

2010-04-30 16:29, Michael Hanke skrev:

Usually we have some version in stable and some people will use it.

[...]

In
Debian we have the universal operating system that incorporates all
software and 'stable' is a snapshot of everything at the time of release
-- and this is not what scientists want.

That is why we have backports.org and neuro.debian.net that offer at
least the latest and greatest for 'stable'. But this is still not
enough.

This is why I like the approach of Gobolinux, at least in theory.

As I understand the basic idea of gobolinux, every packages follows a system like the debian alternatives system, where the alternatives are the different versions of that package. Upgrading therefore does not have to remove old versions, but can just install the new version and update the symlink, removing the old package can then be a separate procedure.

To me (IMHO) that feels like _the_ solution, when combined with the debian snapshot service. I imagine maintenance not to be a problem. I would be happy to have only the same level of support as we have now, but with the eternal _availability_ of all packages. Perhaps other users have other requirements.

Of course this also requires more form the alternatives-handling software in order to handle versioned dependencies when switching the alternatives system between different version, but I expect that to be doable using tools similar to those that exist now.

Regards

Johan