Re: s390x upgrade squeeze to wheezy.

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:04:56 -0500 (EST), nducote@bellsouth.net wrote:

> I just did a upgrade to wheezy on intel and it didn't go all that well.
> I need to upgrade from squeeze to wheezy on an IBM z9 and was hoping
> someone had a detailed step by step process to do this.
> The more searches I do the more confusing it gets.
>
> Any detailed help is appreciated.
> Regards,
> Nelson

First of all, you didn't give any information as to exactly how you
attempted to perform this upgrade.  I trust you didn't just edit
/etc/apt/sources.list and then simply do an "aptitude update" /
"aptitude full-upgrade".  The procedure is more involved than that.
The Debian release notes give a proper, detailed procedure for
performing an upgrade.  However, having said that, the release notes
are usually out-of-date, being essentially a copy of the release notes
for the previous upgrade, until the new release becomes stable.
In other words, once Wheezy becomes the stable release, the release
notes for how to migrate from Squeeze to Wheezy will be updated
with current information.  Using the Squeeze to Wheezy upgrade release
notes while Wheezy is in testing status is a precarious thing because
the release notes often haven't been updated yet.  In general, such
migrations are not really recommended.  Wheezy has been in freeze
status for some time; so it should become the stable release "soon".
I'd wait until Wheezy becomes the stable release first if I were you,
then carefully follow the release notes.

Also, keep in mind that
Squeeze will be the hybrid environment (a 64-bit kernel and a 31-bit
user space).  If you want a full s390x distribution of Wheezy
(64-bit kernel space and 64-bit user space), you will probably want
to do a fresh install of s390x anyway.  It is theoretically possible
to migrate from the hybrid environment to a full s390x environment,
but you really have to know what you're doing, and it's unsupported.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :