s390 Etch install problem

I have purchased the Etch s390 DVD's and am having a problem with the
installer.  Below are the last few lines of what I am getting:

No filesystem could mount root, tried:  ext3 ext2 cramfs
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-
block(1,0)
HCPGIR450W CP entered; disabled wait PSW 000A0000 802ECCE0

I downloaded a Sarge kernel and initrd, and I get all the way into the
first install prompt, so I know my setup at the VM level is fine.

Here are the specifics of my environment:
Z/890-120 processor
z/VM 5.1 0501

I've tried several items in Parmfile with same results.

I need to  upgrade my old Marist distribution because going to a new
Active Directory broke the Samba that was running.

Thanks.