Logstash: ruby gems in a jar

Hey - I started giving Logstash packaging a try and wanted to check something with you.

Logstash has a Makefile that does the whole thing, but the concern is that it downloads all Ruby gems into a directory, which is then packaged into a jar. Here I understand that during build we should not be downloading anything during the package build process.

What is the suggestion here? Would I need to make sure all these gems have their own packages and then change the Makefile to copy the packaged version into the jar?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Rodrigo