Re: liblocale-ruby in repository (RFS)

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 09:46:32PM -0300, Antonio S. de A. Terceiro wrote:
> I've just uploaded the liblocale-ruby package I ITP'd some days ago.
> It's lintian clean.
>
> svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-ruby-extras/liblocale-ruby
>
> (svn+ssh for a r/w checkout)
>
> Could anyone look at it, and consider sponsoring its upload?

I have looked at it. It looks fine, except that the version-independent
package (liblocale-ruby) is set to Architecture: any instead of all.
This is a dummy package and shouldn't be made/have to be made of all archs.

> BTW, I'd suggest that we use the conventions from the pkg-perl group [0]
> for dealing with the pkg-ruby-extras subversion repository. What do you
> guys think?
>
> [0] http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/subversion.html

It's a good document, yes, I agree with it mostly.  However, it's
disputable if upstream source should be in Debian too.  It's like the
discussion if debian/ dirs should be included in upstream source but
then reversed.  Also I think the branches/ thing is a bit of a hack, and
the "new" mergeWithUpstream method maybe a bit experimental, it seems to
work fine for these simple structured ruby upstream libs/progs.

I think we should agree on what we should do with the upstream data.
The whole GNOME team works with upstream outside Subversion for example.
There are to things to say for and against both methods, I am for having
upstream locally.  (For example, I've just checked out your
liblocale-ruby, build it and it's a debian native pkg now).

> Maybe creating a mailing list for using as the Maintainer: field is a
> good idea? I don't really know.

This may be a thing for the future, let's start up first :)

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | email: paulvt@debian.org
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | JID: paul@luon.net