cross compile bash 4.4.18 fails

Hello,

I am trying to cross compile bash 4.4.18 for use in a riscv64 VM.  I am on debian sid and am using the pre-built toolchains as outlined on wiki.debian.org/RISC-V.

I am trying to run

./configure --enable-static-link --host=riscv64

but configure complains of

Invalid configuration `riscv64': machine riscv64 not recognized.

This occurs when I try --host=riscv-linux-gnu and other permutations.  I've looked through the support/config.sub file and not found any reference to riscv or riscv64, so I believe using the --host arguemtn is bound to fail...is that correct?

The only other thing I've thought to try is

CC=riscv64-linux-gnu-gcc ./configure --enable-static-link

which fails with error: cannot run C compiled programs.  If you meant to  cross compile, use `--host'.  And you can see that configure thinks the host system type is x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.

My goal is to build a statically-linked bash for use as a root shell within my VM.  I've been able to do this by copying the binary from the bash-static package into my VM's root filesystem -- now I'd like to be able to build bash myself.

Any help would be appreciated...

thx/Clay