Re: docbook for papers/theses

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 03:08:25PM +0000, martin f krafft wrote:
> My question was more why bother with Docbook as opposed to just
> using LaTeX as the source?

Indeed my thesis has been written in LaTeX, ask someone else for the
advantages of Docbook :-)

Seriously, typing in Docbook you obtain something which is:
1) more easily machine processable (being encoded in XML)
2) more understandable and reusable by someone else, mainly because with
   TeX/LaTeX every author uses its own set of customized
   commands/styles/... which can heavily affect the final result, while
   in Docbook you are forced to play with the stylesheets (which are
   external to the document you're authoring)
3) directly (i.e. not needing compilation) browsable/viewable by some
   applications (e.g. the gnome help thing)

But again, for my thesis the above arguments were not applicable enough
to make me type in Docbook.

Cheers.