Re: Unifont Freeze Exception Request

Niels,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 10:51 PM Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> wrote:

> Paul Hardy:
> > Dear Release Team,
> >
> > Unicode, Inc. expects to release Unicode Standard version 12.0.0 on or
> > shortly after 5 March 2019[1].  Would you consider allowing a freeze
> > exception for a unifont 12.0.01-1 package, to be uploaded by the day
> > after Unicode 12.0.0 is released?
> >
> > Please CC me, as I am not subscribed to this list.
> > [1]http://unicode.org/versions/Unicode12.0.0/
> >

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for your email.
>
> Could I have you file an unblock request/bug against release.debian.org
> with the full source debdiff (when unifont 12.0.01 is released)?  We
> will evaluate your request at that time when we have seen the diff.

A freeze exception may no longer be appropriate.  I was just about to
send a follow-up email on Tuesday morning when I received your email.
This past weekend, having not heard back from the Release Team, I
added two programs to the upcoming Unifont package.  They both solved
immediate needs that I ran into preparing for the new Unifont release.
I wrote one and someone just happened to contribute the other one,
both created this weekend, both unanticipated before then.

I thought about removing those additions today, but would rather get a
Unifont package with the two new programs into unstable rather than
wait for the Release Team to evaluate a version without those new
programs before I could provide a debianized package with them (I am
sure you have far higher priority packages to review first).  If the
Release Team concludes that the changes are too much for buster, at
least in the meantime the new version would propagate to Ubuntu and
other distros that sync from unstable.

Take care,

Paul Hardy