Re: Please, unblock youtube-dl/2009.09.13-1

Hi, Goswin and Luk.

2009/11/5 Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>:
> Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> writes:
>> In other words, we have people looking after the package.
>
> But will it remain functional for 1-3 years in stable/old-stable?

Of course, I can't guarantee anything, since the online services have
a quite ephemeral and volatile nature: for instance, the current
Amarok in stable has broken access to the Wikipedia articles (and
Wikipedia is quite open, for all that matters) and broken access to
Amazon for fetching covers (despite the fact that they have published
their APIs).

Unfortunately, the maintainer seems to be focused on KDE in unstable
and has declared that he isn't that much motivated to upload a fix
release, despite some of the patches being trivial and lenny having a
very long life still.

But talking again about downloaders like youtube-dl, I think that the
equality of judgement for packages fit for release should be
considered with clive, cclive and many other programs that use
unestablished interfaces.

Another program in the same league is freepop, which acts as a pop
proxy for some webmail services that don't offer ways of downloading
the users' messages.

Anyway, perhaps having youtube-dl in a stable release is not really
the way to go. No problems. I can live with the package being in
unstable only and pointing people to apt-pin their packages.

Regards, Rogério Brito.