Re: 2.2r3 preparation

Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Anthony Towns wrote:

> > Anyone have any worthwhile opinions on how 2.2r3 and 2.4.0 should get
> > along? There already seems to be an iptables package and adding a new
> > devfsd package would have little chance of breaking any existing installs
>
> If you look at the bugs page of the devfsd package [1] you'll see that the
> package needs some work before it can go in a stable.

 That depends, mozilla is in stable and that isn't bug free. It's not
like it's replacing a working package.

> > (assuming they don't install it). modutils is out of date, though. It
> > might be worth considering making a modutils-2.4 package, which would
> > work in most cases, and run little risk of breaking anyone's system.
>
> To support Kernel 2.4 you we need to upgrade at least:
> - modutils

 As said a modutils-2.4 could be done.

> - util-linux

 Having a util-linux-2.10o could also be done (or just backport the
obvious features like mount bind etc.).

> - ppp

 Only if you want to use ppp :) -- just the same as with isdn and
pcmcia-cs.

> The version of modutils in stable will be higher than the version
> currently in testing.

 Maybe not a good idea, I admit :).

> > Of course, there's no way we're going to support 2.4.x in potato much
> > better than we supported 2.2.x in slink, but including stuff for it
> > on CDs in extra doesn't strike me as unreasonable. I'm prepared to be
> > shouted down, of course.
>
> To support kernel 2.4 we have to:
> - put buggy packages (devfsd) in stable
> - upgrade very important packages
>
> I suggest another solution:
> Someone (if noone else wants to I can do it) sets up an apt-able archive
> with packages needed for kernel 2.4 recompiled for potato. Then stable
> stays stable and who wants to use kernel 2.4 or distributors who want to
> ship kernel 2.4 have the needed packages.

 That's doesn't sound bad, just a simple way to try it out without
having to manually install modutils etc. would be nice.

--
# James Antill -- james@and.org
:0: